Flaky and crispy on the outside, sweet and scrumptious on the inside! Unlike traditional apple pie, these mini-pies are not overly sweet. In fact, they would pair perfectly with coffee for a grab and go breakfast.
Whole Wheat Apple Hand Pies [Vegan]
For the Pie Filling:
- 4 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Dough:
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil in solid form (Best to first measure out coconut oil and place in the refrigerator to harden)
- 1/3-1/2 cup ice water
- Extra coconut oil (melted) and cane sugar for topping is needed!
- Preheat oven to 375°F, line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add sliced apples to a large bowl and drizzle with lemon juice, toss to coat. Add cane sugar, brown sugar, flour, water and cinnamon. Mix until well combined and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together whole wheat pastry flour, salt and sugar. Cut in coconut oil until crumbly, using hands as needed. Add 1/3 cup of ice water and mix together. Use hands to knead dough and form into a ball. Add more water as needed to hold dough together. Divide into two balls. On a floured surface or on wax paper, roll out dough until 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Use a small plate or cookie cutter to cut rounds, 8 total. Evenly place 4 rounds on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and use a fork or toothpick to poke holes in dough. Add 1/4 cup pie filling, top with another dough round and use a fork to press down edges, sealing off pies. Poke top of pie, brush on melted coconut oil and add a pinch of cane sugar. Place in oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crispy around the edges. (Keep an eye on the oven so they don't burn!)
- Let cool and enjoy!