This whole roasted cauliflower, served in a spicy, savory sauce, is the perfect entrée. A gorgeous blend of tahini, olive oil, parsley, curry, coriander seeds, and cumin seeds, make for a creamy, full-bodied dish that is chock full of flavor. This centerpiece-worthy entrée is best served alongside dark, leafy greens, and plenty of bread.
Whole Roasted Cauliflower With Calabrian Chili Tahini Sauce [Vegan]
For the Cauliflower:
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped calabrian chili peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower. Using a paring knife, carve out the bottom of the core so that the cauliflower can sit flat. Be cautious not to separate the florets from the head.
- Center the cauliflower onto a roasting pan. Drizzle on the olive oil (or melted coconut oil), and add the broth (or water) to the pan. Sprinkle on some sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cover the cauliflower with unbleached parchment paper, and then aluminum foil to create a tight seal.
- Roast in the oven until browned and soft, about 60-90 minutes, depending on size. Remove the parchment paper and foil after about 40 minutes of cooking time.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, prepare the sauce. Add all the sauce ingredients to a high-speed blender or mini food processor and process on high until smooth, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat a sauté pan on medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and toast until fragrant, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board or platter to cool. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Once the cauliflower is soft, remove it from the oven. Drizzle on some of the tahini sauce, and top with some of the tahini sauce, chopped parsley and hazelnuts.
- Serve immediately, with extra sauce on the side.