Whether you want to eat more beans or if you’re looking for gluten-free or healthier ”croutons ” then this recipe is for you! Some beans are delicious if they are a bit smaller and a bit more crispy (not undercooked!), but the larger beans such as giant white beans are really delicious if you overcook them so they fall apart. It’s such comfort food and also so satiating because of the fibers. Delicious!
White Bean Croutons [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for White Bean Croutons [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Croutons:
- 1 cups of dry white giant beans
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of basil
- 2 pinches of black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of apple vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
To Make the Simple Spinach Salad:
- 2 hands full of spinach, cut into slices
- 1/2 red onion, cut into small cubes
- 1 red diced paprika
- 1/2 medium cucumber cut into small cubes
- 1 piece of celery, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon of hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- Optional: fresh herbs and pumpkin seeds
How to Prepare White Bean Croutons [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Soak the white beans overnight (or at least 6 hours) in four times the amount of water.
- The beans will expand a lot (double).
- The following day, rinse the beans very well under running water. You can skip the soaking part, but I find the beans easier to digest and the beans will also cook much faster after they have been soaked.
- Cook the beans well, which may take up to one hour (or longer), this often depends on the beans.
- When the beans are ready, drain them. Mash the beans roughly with a fork or potato masher until you have a smooth consistency with small chunks.
- Add the ingredients for the croutons (except for the nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, marjoram and garlic powder) and combine well.
- Then make a 3 inch thick pizza-form (round or square) out of your mixture and bake it in a preheated oven at 350°F until the beans turn brownish and look dry. Depending on your oven, this may take 30 minutes to an hour. It doesn't look appetizing when it's ready and dry, but it's delicious!
- Remove from the oven and break into pieces. This can be done without any effort because there is nothing in this recipe that will bind the mixture, so it will fall apart by itself.
- Add the nutritional yeast, basil, oregano, marjoram and a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Mix salad ingredients together and serve croutons over salad.
The croutons can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3-4 days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Beans - White
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total (croutons alone) Calories: 644 | Total Carbs: 117 g | Total Fat: 3 g | Total Protein: 48 g | Total Sodium: 20 mg | Total Sugar: 4 g Total (croutons over salad) Calories: 720 | Total Carbs: 125 g | Total Fat: 5 g | Total Protein: 53 g | Total Sodium: 133 mg | Total Sugar: 8 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.