Vegetables Manchurian is a popular Indo-Chinese dish made from vegetable meatballs dipped in cornflour and then deep-fried and served in gravy. In this recipe, they're fried, rather than deep-fried with a thick, flavorful gravy spiced with ginger, garlic, and chilis. Serve this favorite dish with a side of fried rice.
Vegetables Manchurian [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Vegetables Manchurian [Vegan]
For Vegetable Manchurian:
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup green beans, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions/green onions, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Gravy:
- 1-inch piece ginger, finely grated
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup scallions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon green chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 cup water/stock, as needed
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Vegetables Manchurian [Vegan]
To Make the Vegetables Manchurian:
- In a bowl, combine cabbage, carrot, green beans, and scallions. Add the all-purpose flour, corn starch, salt, and pepper. Mix well. The quantity of the flours is not much — it is only to bind the vegetables when you squeeze them into balls. The ratio of vegetables to flour ratio is much higher, but if you find that the Manchurian balls are not holding shape while frying, then add more flour to bind them well.
- Heat a large non-stick pan and add oil. Add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable mixture formed into a ball and fry over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until all the sides are well browned and cooked through.
- Remove onto paper towel-lined plate and repeat with the remaining vegetable mixture.
To Make the Gravy:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan, add ginger and garlic and once they get fragrant, add the chopped scallions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- In the meantime, whisk water/stock with corn starch and set aside. Once the scallions are cooked, stir in the soy sauce, chili sauce, tomato ketchup, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Next, add the corn starch mixture and cook until the gravy thickens, this will take about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve along with fried rice.
Makes 18-20 veggie balls.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 259 | Total Carbs: 59 g | Total Fat: 0 g | Total Protein: 12 g | Total Sodium: 712 g | Total Sugar: 22 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.