I know my Indian friends would not call this curry, but I like to make curry in a hurry! Hahaha! Get it? It’s the name of an Indian place in the city. I threw this together one night with what I had in the house and it is now one of our favorites. Hearty, nutritious, and just enough spice.
Quick Vegetable Coconut Curry [Vegan]
- 1 small onion
- 1 spring garlic or 1 clove of garlic
- 2 small Yukon potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup cashew milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 or 3 teaspoons curry powder
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Rice, enough for 2 to 3 servings
- Get the rice going.
- Prep the vegetables: slice the onion into semi circles, slice the spring garlic or mince the garlic clove on a microplane, cube the potatoes, dice the carrots and pepper, and grate the ginger on a microplane.
- Dry sauté the onion until starting to brown. Add 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pan. Next, add the garlic, ginger and potatoes and the cashew milk and cook together for a few minutes. Season with salt. Add the tomato paste, carrots, peppers, coconut milk, tomato sauce. Season with curry powder. Cook until potatoes are just soft.
- Add the peas and cook for another minute.
- Serve over rice and garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!