Marshmallows are another non-vegan thing I don’t really miss, but I have to admit there’s something terribly appealing about rocky road bars. Dark chocolate, crispy nuts, and chewy marshmallows? Whoever thought of that deserves the Nobel Food Prize. (Wait, there’s no Nobel Food Prize? What?!!) But even better than that – yes, I know it’s hard, but trust me – are rocky road brownies. The marshmallows melt into gooey, sticky blotches of intense sweetness in the middle of the thick chocolate sponge, and when a hazelnut hits your teeth, the crunch is so utterly satisfying you might just moan. Boyfriends, be warned – you’ve got competition, boys.
Rocky Road Brownies [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Rocky Road Brownies [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup tofu
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2/3 cup + 2 tsp almond milk (soy or rice will do fine, even hazelnut)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup vegan marshmallows
- 1 cup hazelnuts
How to Prepare Rocky Road Brownies [Vegan]
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/356ºF. Line a small rectangular tin ( cm x cm) with baking parchment.
- Place the tofu, apple sauce and almond milk in the blender and process until smooth. Beat the mixture with the sugar and cocoa powder, then gradually add the flour and baking powder.
- Fold in the marshmallows and hazelnuts. Pour the batter into the lined tin, smoothing the top with a spatula, and baking for 35 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely before you remove them from the tin and cut them into 15 separate brownies.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.