This gluten-free crumb cake is super-moist and tender with a delicious crumb topping. It’s not too sweet and the cinnamon and nutmeg shine through perfectly. And all through the cake, there are chunks of cooked pears that are intensely pear-like. The topping is a mix of brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and vegan butter. It’s sweet, warm and crumbly.
Pear Crumb Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Pear Crumb Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup warm water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted or oil
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe pears, cored and chopped
For the Topping:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbs. cold vegan butter, cut into pieces
How to Prepare Pear Crumb Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan. In a mug, combine the flaxseed and warm water. Mix and let it sit for five minutes until it becomes a gel. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the milk and the butter. Add in the flax gel and mix well. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is well-combined. Fold in the chopped pears. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- To make the topping: In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add the butter bits and with a fork, mash the butter into the dry ingredients until it turns into crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, turning the pan around halfway through. The top of the cake should be dry and hardened. A cake tester should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan. Cut into squares and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2,344 | Total Carbs: 464 g | Total Fat: 55 g | Total Protein: 23 g | Total Sodium: 514 mg | Total Sugar: 241 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.