This gluten-free crumb cake is super-moist and tender with a delicious crumb topping. It’s not too sweet and the cinnamon and nutmeg shine through perfectly. And all through the cake, there are chunks of cooked pears that are intensely pear-like. The topping is a mix of brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and vegan butter. It’s sweet, warm and crumbly.
Pear Crumb Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup warm water
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted or oil
- 1 ¼ cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 ripe pears, cored and chopped
For the Topping:
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbs. cold vegan butter, cut into pieces
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8 x 8 baking pan. In a mug, combine the flaxseed and warm water. Mix and let it sit for five minutes until it becomes a gel. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the milk and the butter. Add in the flax gel and mix well. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is well-combined. Fold in the chopped pears. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- To make the topping: In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add the butter bits and with a fork, mash the butter into the dry ingredients until it turns into crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, turning the pan around halfway through. The top of the cake should be dry and hardened. A cake tester should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan. Cut into squares and serve.