A fantastic source of protein and a great dish to use for many different meals, this mock tuna salad is great by itself, a filling for nori rolls, or as a spread on crackers.
Mock Tuna Salad [Vegan]
- 1 cup sunflower seeds (soak for 2hrs, rinse and drain)
- 1 cup almonds blanched (soak 24hrs, change water twice a day, rinse and drain) blanched meaning skinned
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red capsicum finely chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onion chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander chopped fresh
- 1/2 cup dill chopped fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- dulse flakes to taste
- celtic sea salt and pepper to taste
- Soak sunflower seeds for 2 hours in bowl with cold water then rinse.
- Soak almonds for 24hrs in bowl with cold water, celtic sea salt, change water twice a day, rinse and drain into large bowl.
- Take a kettle full of hot water, pour it over the almonds, let them sit for a minute or two, and then drain water.
- Find an almond that’s skin seems to have slipped away a little from the nut, squeeze the nut between your thumb and forefinger, the nut should squeeze its way out of the skin.
- Now you have a blanched almond, continue this for all almonds.
- Blend sunflower seeds, almonds, lemon juice and water in food processor or thermomix to a paste consistency.
- Place ingredients into large mixing bowl.
- Chop celery, red capsicum, spring onion, coriander, dill, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, dulse flakes and chili flakes, mix through paste.
- Add celtic sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh dill, coriander, and red capsicum.