Potatoes are so versatile, there is much more to do with this starchy crop than just French fries and baked potatoes. This rich gnocchi is a perfect main course or side dish.
Gnocchi With Thyme Vinaigrette and Cashew Cream [Vegan]
- 2 russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup bread flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1-2 pinches salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cups cashews
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2-1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Strip the thyme leaves off their stems into a mortar. Add a pinch or two of salt and grind with the pestle until a rough paste is formed.
- Add oil and vinegar and mix again. Don’t worry if it’s emulsified, it just needs to be mixed. Taste and adjust salt or vinegar as needed. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients for the cashew cream in a blender and blend on high until thick and smooth. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Boil potatoes till soft.
- Peel potatoes and let cool for 10-15 min.
- Push potatoes through ricer or food mill and form a mound on your workstation.
- Adding flour ½ cup at a time knead dough till ball forms.
- Shape the dough into long ½ inch thick ropes.
- Using a bench scraper, cut each rope into ½ inch pieces.
- For final shaping, roll each piece pressing slightly across a fork to form rough surface on top and slight concave underneath.
- Drop each piece into simmering water and cook until 30 seconds after they float to the top.
- Toss lightly with vinaigrette.
- Plate and drizzle with Cashew Sauce.