Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream had a stroke of genius when they invented their Cherry Garcia flavor, named after the famed Jerry Garcia (1942-1995) of the Grateful Dead. It's still their best selling flavor, because it's freaking delicious. What's not to love about cherry flavored ice cream with whole cherries and dark chocolate pieces? Too bad they haven't created a vegan line of their ice cream...
Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream [Vegan]
For the Ice Cream Base:
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or cherry extract if you can find it
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
For the Dark Chocolate Pieces:
- 1/2 cup chopped vegan dark chocolate or vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
How to Prepare Cherry Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream [Vegan]
- Make the dark chocolate pieces first: Melt the chopped dark chocolate and the coconut oil together over a double broiler on low-ish heat. Once fully melted, pour the chocolate mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper or plastic wrap. Stick in the freezer and let chill til solid.
- While the chocolate mixture is chilling, blend coconut milks, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and just a few of the cherries (for color) until completely smooth. Pour into prepared ice cream maker and let churn for 25-30 minutes. While the ice cream is churning, cut the chilled chocolate into pieces with a pizza wheel. Return chocolate pieces to the freezer.
- When the ice cream finishes churning, pour ice cream into a large freezer safe container and stir in the chocolate pieces and the remaining cherries, so they stay mostly intact. You can eat it now, like soft serve but it's much better when you freeze it for 2 hours til it's nice and solid.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2493 | Total Carbs: 268 g | Total Fat: 155 g | Total Protein: 9 g | Total Sodium: 150 g | Total Sugar: 234 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.