If there is a better way to start your day than with a green monster, this is probably it. Rich, buttery, with a crunchy praline topping, these vegan muffins rock my world. It’ll spruce up any old Monday morning or gently ease you into the weekend. I made these little babies as a treat for my fellow co-workers on the last day of my work placement. I had such a lovely time there and learnt heaps and heaps of valuable tips, I simply didn’t want to leave. Needless to say, we ate every muffin down to the last crumb. They definitely cheered me up a bit on that bittersweet day.
Almond Butter Muffins With Crunchy Topping [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup ground almonds + small handful of chopped almonds
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 banana, mashed
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 generous tbsp almond butter
- 2-3 tbsp vegan almond praline for the topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/392ºF. Line 16 muffin tins/shapes and set aside.
- Pour the almond milk in a small container, add the apple cider vinegar and set aside to curdle while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients. In a separate, smaller bowl, mash the banana and almond butter, then add the oil and finally the curdled almond milk.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and give it a few good stirs to combine everything smoothly. It’s important not to overmix the batter, as this can cause it to get tough.
- Spoon the muffin batter into the muffin tins, filling them to the top so they will rise into big fat muffins. Sprinkle some almond praline over the top. Bake for 22 minutes.
- Let the muffins cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes before enjoying still warm with a cup of green tea and some fresh fruit.