By now, you've probably noticed that unicorn food, or gorgeous, colorful food is taking over Instagram. These easy unicorn sushi doughnuts combine two eye-catching food trends — unicorn and the sushi doughnuts. Sushi rice is seasoned with vinegar and a bit of sugar, then brought to life with pretty colors. The best part? These don’t contain any food coloring, but are dyed with natural ingredients: beet sauerkraut juice, turmeric, and spirulina. Have fun making these gorgeous "doughnuts"!
Unicorn Sushi Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sushi Rice:
- 1 cup uncooked sushi rice
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
For the Unicorn Sushi Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice, divided into 3 bowls
- 1 tablespoon beet sauerkraut juice or beet juice
- 1/3 teaspoon spirulina
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
For the Toppings:
- 1/2-1 avocado, cut into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons chipotle mayo (recipe below)
- Sesame seeds, to garnish, plus any other toppings of choice
For the Chipotle Mayo:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from can of chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Soy sauce or tamari
- Nori squares
To Make the Sushi Rice:
- Rinse the sushi rice in a fine sieve until the water is clear, about 2-3 times. Place the rice into a rice cooker or a medium pot with the water and allow it to soak for 30 minutes.
- Add rice in a rice cooker or stovetop. To cook rice stovetop, bring soaked rice to a boil, then cover with a lid and simmer on for 20 minutes. Once cooked in either the pot or rice cooker, remove from heat (with lid on) and let it stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a small pan over medium heat in and cook until the sugar has melted but not boiling. Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and fold to combine. Cool to room temperature before serving.
To Make the Unicorn Sushi Doughnuts:
- Divide the sushi rice evenly between 3 bowls (1/2 cup each), then distribute the turmeric, beet juice, and spirulina (1 in each bowl). Fold until evenly combined, trying not to mush the rice.
- Randomly divide the cold sushi rice amongst the doughnut tray, being sure to not cover the middle hole of the pan. Press the rice down so it is tight, then flip the pan upside down to carefully remove the rice rings. You may need to loosen the rice out with a spoon prior to removing it.
- Decorate the sushi doughnuts with the avocado, chipotle mayo, and black sesame seeds as desired, then serve with soy sauce and a sheet of nori (optional).
To Make the Chipotle Mayo:
- Put the cashews and their water in a blender and blend on medium for about 30 seconds, then turn up to high. Blend until the sauce no longer feels grainy between your fingers.
- Add the chipotle adobo sauce and the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend until incorporated, then add salt to taste.