Long live the barbecue season is all I’m saying. I made this barbecue sauce with an abundance of hot pepper, thus the name “triple threat.” It’s a tangy sauce, not a smokey one, which means you can make it even if you don’t have any liquid smoke on hand. Woo! Also, it doesn’t take a lot of time to make, and it’s better for you than its sugary, salt-laden store bought counterpart. Triple win.
Triple Threat Barbecue Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Triple Threat Barbecue Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 minced fresh hot pepper, seeds removed
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut sugar (traditional cane sugar will do if you must)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
How to Prepare Triple Threat Barbecue Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a large pan, sauté onions for 8 – 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Transfer to a small pot, add all other ingredients and cook, covered, on medium-low for 30 to 60 minutes. The longer you cook it, the richer and thicker it will get, but if you’re pressed for time, I understand.
- Remove from heat, let cool, and then blend in a high-powered blender or food processor until smooth.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.