This looks like a traditional carrot cake with walnuts, cinnamon, and of course cream cheese frosting ... but it's more than that. This triple decker carrot cake is super-moist and loaded with carrots, plus the addition of tart Granny Smith apples for more moisture and flavor. The spices in combination with the perfect amount of toasted walnuts is going to send you and your guests to carrot cake paradise.
Triple Decker Carrot Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Triple Decker Carrot Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium-sized carrots, approximately 2 cups
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, plus more for garnish
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 cups vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan buttercream (optional)
For the Buttercream:
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup hi-ratio vegetable shortening
- 6 cups confectioner's sugar
- 4 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Prepare Triple Decker Carrot Cake [Vegan]
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine the flax with the hot water and let stand to thicken.
- In a large bowl combine the sugars with the oil, vanilla extract and the flax mixture, whisk smooth
- Add the orange zest.
- Then, sift together all of the dry ingredients directly into the bowl and whisk smooth.
- Add the grated carrots and apple and the nuts then mix smooth.
- Pour batter into greased 7-inch cake pans and bake for approximately 25-40 minutes depending on the size of your pans. Bake until they are done.
- Cool cakes while you prepare the cream cheese frosting.
To Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Smooth cream cheese and butter with a paddle attachment.
- Add sifted confectioners sugar and blend on low just to combine.
- Add extract then add optional buttercream icing.
- Mix until smooth.
To Make the Buttercream:
- Cream the butter and shortening together with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the alternative milk of your choice and continue whipping for about 1 more minute.
- Add the sifted confectioner's sugar and blend on low until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Blend until smooth.
Frosting makes 3 cups. You can freeze un-iced carrot cake layers wrapped well for up to one month. Frosted cake must be kept refrigerated but may stay at room temperature for up to 3 hours max.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 12004 | Total Carbs: 1422 g | Total Fat: 673 g | Total Protein: 71 g | Total Sodium: 4756 g | Total Sugar: 1206 g Calculation not including optional buttercream.Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.