This salad is fresh, vibrant, and absolutely delicious! If you like Moroccan food, or just like to cook different kinds of cuisines, give this traditional Moroccan eggplant salad a try!
Traditional Moroccan Eggplant Salad [Vegan]
- 1 large eggplant (around 5 cups, chopped)
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, optional*
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro and parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash the eggplant, cut off the ends and cut it into large chunks. Boil the eggplant until thoroughly cooked through, about 15 minutes
- While the eggplant is boiling, cut off the ends of the tomatoes and grate them until all the seeds and flesh are removed and the skin remains. Discard the skin.
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, combine grated tomato, optional olive oil, garlic and spices. Then add in the tomato paste and allow everything to cook for a few minutes until the liquid has reduced.
- Once reduced, add in the eggplant and cilantro/parsley mixture. Mix well and mash with a potato masher until mixture is well blended.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve warm or cold.
*Traditionally this salad is cooked with lots of olive oil. While I omit the oil when I prepare it, I wanted to include this ingredient to share the traditional recipe.