This substantial lasagna is full of the warmth and comfort of a true classic. Rich with tomatoes, carrots and leeks, the sauce blends sweet and savory notes into this deep and decadent dish. Creamy cashew cheese and eggplant offer smooth texture and flavor, leaving everyone craving for seconds!
Veggie Lasagna with Eggplant and Cashew Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 eggplant
- 1 packet of lasagna sheets
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Sauce
- 1/2 leek
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon herb salt
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 garlic clove
For the Cashew Cheese
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup of hot water
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons of tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Prepare the eggplant: Start by cutting the eggplant in 1-inch thick slices and sprinkle both sides generously with salt to let it sweat. This will extract the water and bitter taste from the eggplant. Let the salt sit for 15-20 minutes while moving on to the next step.
- Make the leek-carrot-tomato sauce: Wash and cut the leek onion into slices. Use a carrot peeler to shred thin slices of the carrots. Fry in a pan on medium heat with crushed garlic, leek, and spinach. Fry for about 5 minutes. Add the vegetable bouillon cube, crushed tomatoes, cream cheese and the tomato puree. Stir and remove from heat.
- Cook the eggplant: Use a strainer to press and remove all the water from the eggplant. Wash the eggplant with water to remove the salt. Fry the eggplant in olive oil on medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Assemble the lasagna: When the eggplant is ready, start assembling your lasagna by putting layers of pasta sheets, carrot-leek tomato sauce, and eggplant. Repeat this and make 3-4 layers.
- Make the melted cashew cheese: Put all ingredients for the cashew cheese into a high-speed blender and blend for about a minute until creamy.
- Pour the blended cashew mixture into a small saucepan and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until the mixture thickens and looks like melted cheese. Let cool slightly and spread over the lasagna.
- Cook the lasagna in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Time may vary depending on the type of paste used.
Feel free to substitute the lasagna pasta with your favorite gluten-free alternative!