Bread is the staff of life – but that does not mean your staff has to be boring. Dress up your boring bread with fresh tomatoes, fresh rosemary, fresh basil, and spelt flour. Bake all of these ingredients into healthy, vegan bread that is anything but ordinary.
Tomato Herbed Spelt Bread [Vegan]
- 3 Roma tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary and basil
- 4 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven at 375°F.
- Prepare a 9x5-inch loaf pan by greasing and dusting it with flour.
- Pureé the tomatoes in a grinder and add maple syrup to the blend as well.
- Pour the tomato puree in a bowl and add oil and herbs.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine spelt flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the tomato puree mix to the flour and mix with a spoon.
- Add water and mix with a spoon or with your hand. The batter will take the form of very soft dough.
- Put the dough into the pan and spread gently to shape it according to the pan.
- Put the loaf pan into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool for a while.
- Cut into slices and serve warm