A sturdy and healthy tofu pot pie casserole made with phyllo dough and common vegetables. Quick and easy for a weekday dinner!
Tofu Pot Pie Casserole [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 celery ribs and leaves, chopped
- 3 medium potatoes (about 12 ounces.), diced small
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 15-ounce can of sweet peas, drained
- 1 heaping cup of frozen sweet corn
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- Scant 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 12-ounce block of firm tofu, drained and cubed small
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon. ground black pepper
- 12 sheets of phyllo dough (about 1/2 a roll)
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-low. Add the celery and potatoes, bringing the heat to medium and sauté for about 5-8 minutes. Then add the onion and garlic. Sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and corn and sauté for 3 minutes. Now, add the milk stirring well to combine. Slowly add in the flour, stirring to combine and ensuring there are no lumps. Stir in the tofu.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, excluding the phyllo dough and reserving 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a large 9x13-inch casserole dish with a nonstick cooking spray. Place four sheets of phyllo dough down then cover with half of the pot pie mixture. Add another four sheets of dough, then the other half of the mixture. Finish with four sheets of dough, coating them with a bit of olive oil and sprinkling with 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast.
- Bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes and serve hot.