If you’re a fan of the ‘shrooms, this is a recipe you’ll want to try! Healthy whole wheat macaroni, toasted for extra flavour, mushrooms simmered in white wine, and a scoop of cashew cream to finish things off! Best of all, you can make this all in one pan! I adapted this from the book Foodies Around The World to make it vegan friendly.
Toasted Mushroom Macaroni [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 8.5 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- Soak 1/2 cup raw cashews in water overnight, drain and rinse.
- In a food processor or very good blender, pour in cashews and just cover with water. Blend until smooth.
To Make the Pasta:
- Heat a large heavy pan over high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Sauté the mushrooms 2-3 minutes, until brown, but not completely cooked.
- Reduce heat and add parsley, garlic, and oregano.Cook for another minute or so.
- Add wine and simmer 3-5 minutes.
- Remove contents from pan and set aside
- Place the remaining olive oil, and butter in the pan on high heat.
- Add the macaroni, stirring constantly until pasta browns slightly- about 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until pasta is just tender- about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mushroom mixture and cashew cream and cook for a few minutes to let everything come together.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan (if using), salt, and black pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
You will have some extra cashew cream, it can be stored in the fridge for a couple days or in the freezer for a few months.