If you’re a fan of the ‘shrooms, you’ll want to try this vegan mushroom mac and cheese asap! Healthy whole wheat macaroni, toasted for extra flavour; mushrooms simmered in white wine; and a scoop of cashew cream to finish things off––sounds heavenly, doesn't it? Best of all, you can make this all in one pan! An easy vegan mushroom mac and cheese recipe? Sign me up! I adapted this from the book Foodies Around The World to make it vegan friendly.
Toasted Mushroom Macaroni [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 8.5 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
To Make the Cashew Cream:
- Soak 1/2 cup raw cashews in water overnight, drain and rinse.
- In a food processor or very good blender, pour in cashews and just cover with water. Blend until smooth.
To Make the Pasta:
- Heat a large heavy pan over high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Sauté the mushrooms 2-3 minutes, until brown, but not completely cooked.
- Reduce heat and add parsley, garlic, and oregano.Cook for another minute or so.
- Add wine and simmer 3-5 minutes.
- Remove contents from pan and set aside
- Place the remaining olive oil, and butter in the pan on high heat.
- Add the macaroni, stirring constantly until pasta browns slightly- about 5 minutes.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered until pasta is just tender- about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the mushroom mixture and cashew cream and cook for a few minutes to let everything come together.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan (if using), salt, and black pepper.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
You will have some extra cashew cream, it can be stored in the fridge for a couple days or in the freezer for a few months.