This smoky, spicy chili has just a hint of sweetness thanks to the sweet potatoes. With three different varieties of beans, it's hearty and filling — the perfect meal for cold weather. Serve this with crunchy tortilla chips or cool and creamy guacamole!
Three Bean Sweet Potato Chili [Vegan]
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can cranberry beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon water
- A handful of fresh coriander
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, garlic, chili pepper, cumin seeds, paprika, and oregano until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the bell pepper, sweet potato, and parsnip, and let everything cook together for a few minutes until the vegetables begin to soften just a bit.
- Add all of the beans, the tomatoes, water, and salt. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the fresh coriander and serve.