Mom used to make this cake from a recipe she’d found in something like Elle magazine eons ago (no offense, Mom). The original recipe called for beaten egg whites to be added to the batter. If you’re already seasoned in the art of veganising cake recipes, you’re probably making a hissing noise and a commiserating kind of face. This cake drove me nuts. (Excuse the pun.) But in the end, the kind diet has prevailed. This slice of heaven is now available for all of us hungry vegans to enjoy.
Hazelnut Coffee Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hazelnut Coffee Cake [Vegan]
- 100ml (1/4 cup) hazelnut milk
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 100g (3/4 cup) ground hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 100g (1/2 cup) vegan margarine + extra to grease
- 1 tablespoon agar flakes
- 100ml (1/4 cup) almond milk
- 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
How to Prepare Hazelnut Coffee Cake [Vegan]
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Cream the vegan margarine and sugar together with a spoon. In your food processor, or even a blender, grind the hazelnuts to a fine powder. It’s alright to leave a few bits if you like that in your cake. Add this powder to the margarine and sugar, and the flour as well. Combine, then add the hazelnut milk and mix again. Finally add the bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. Pour the batter into a greased 8 to 9″ pan (I used a 20cm diameter pan) and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Set aside to cool while you make the covering.
- In a small saucepan combine all the ingredients for the coffee covering. Boil for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a mixing bowl. Whisk for a minute, then place in the fridge for about 5 minutes until it gets a bit more solid but not completely firm, then whisk again and spread over the cake when it is cooled. Ideally you want it to be a light mousse that will not spread and melt off the cake.
- Top your cake with chocolate sprinkles and leftover hazelnuts.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.