Get ready for the hack that will change the way you see tofu forever. If you think that no oil means no flavor ... think again. This awesome tofu is smoky and perfectly browned on the outside. You can cube it and serve it for dinner with rice, beans, and veggies or slice it into cutlets for veggie sandwiches.
The Perfect Smoky Oil-Free Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce block firm tofu
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 1/4 cup coconut vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- Remove tofu from packaging, drain and press for 1 hour to release its liquid.
- In the meantime, mix together the remaining ingredients to create your marinade.
- Cut pressed tofu into 1/2-1/3-inch cubes and place into a large sealable plastic bag or a shallow baking pan.
- Pour the marinade over the tofu, seal, shake up/turn over to ensure even distribution of the marinade.
- Place in the refrigerator for 3-8 hours, the longer the better. Mix the tofu periodically if possible for even marinating.
- Once the tofu is marinated, place it into a nonstick pan over medium-high heat with all of its liquid.
- Mix tofu into a singer layer, and allow it to cook until no liquid remains and the tofu has browned.
- Reduce the heat to low, and flip the tofu. Allow it to sit for a few more minutes. Remove from heat and serve the tofu as desired.