A vegan version of traditional southern cornbread stuffing!
Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing With Gravy [Vegan]
- 1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 3/4 Cup Rice Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Cup Onion, Chopped
- 1 Cup Celery, Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Light Vegan Butter
- 5 Slices Whole Wheat Bread, Cubed
- 3 Cups of Cornbread, Crumbled
- 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Flakes
- 2 Teaspoons Poultry Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Sage
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Medium Carrot, Grated
- 1 3/4 Cup No-Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups No-Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
- Cook cornbread first. You can make it a day in advance. Prepare iron skillet by spraying it with cooking spray and sprinkling it with corn meal. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together corn meal, flour, salt, baking powder, rice milk and canola oil.Pour into skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let set for about 5 minutes before you remove it from the pan.
- I should add, this stuffing works best with this particular cornbread recipe. I tried it with my whole wheat cornbread recipe and it doesn't taste right.
- Now for the dressing.
- In a saucepan place butter, celery and onions and simmer on medium-low heat until soft.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees and toast bread cubes for about 10 minutes or until well toasted.
- In a mixing bowl mix together onions and celery, bread cubes, cornbread, bread flakes, poultry seasoning, parsley, onion, sage, pepper, carrot and broth. Place into a 8 inch casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with tin foil. Oven is already preheated. Place into oven and cook for about 45 minutes.
- To make the gravy. In a shaker jar put 1 cup of the broth, flour and corn starch. Shake until mixed. Pour into sauce pan with the other cup of broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickens.