A vegan version of traditional southern cornbread stuffing!
Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing With Gravy [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing With Gravy [Vegan]
For the Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup rice milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the Stuffing
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoon light vegan butter
- 5 slices whole-wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups of cornbread, crumbled
- 1/2 cup panko bread flakes
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 3/4 cup no-chicken broth
For the gravy
- 2 cups no-chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
How to Prepare Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing With Gravy [Vegan]
- Cook cornbread first. You can make it a day in advance. Prepare an iron skillet by spraying it with cooking spray and sprinkling it with cornmeal. Preheat oven to 450°F
- Mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, rice milk, and canola oil in a mixing bowl. Pour into skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let set for about 5 minutes before you remove it from the pan.
- I should add, this stuffing works best with this particular cornbread recipe. I tried it with my whole wheat cornbread recipe, and it doesn't taste right.
- Now for the dressing.
- In a saucepan, place butter, celery, and onions and simmer on medium-low heat until soft.
- Preheat oven 350°F and toast bread cubes for about 10 minutes or until well toasted.
- Mix onions and celery, bread cubes, cornbread, bread flakes, poultry seasoning, parsley, onion, sage, pepper, carrot, and broth in a mixing bowl.
- Place into an 8-inch casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with tin foil. The oven is already preheated. Place into oven and cook for about 45 minutes.
- To make the gravy. In a shaker jar, put 1 cup of broth, flour, and corn starch. Shake until mixed. Pour into the saucepan with the other cup of broth. Bring to a boil, constantly stirring until thickens.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.