A vegan version of traditional southern cornbread stuffing!
Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing With Gravy [Vegan]
For the Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup rice milk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the Stuffing
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoon light vegan butter
- 5 slices whole-wheat bread, cubed
- 3 cups of cornbread, crumbled
- 1/2 cup panko bread flakes
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 3/4 cup no-chicken broth
For the gravy
- 2 cups no-chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Cook cornbread first. You can make it a day in advance. Prepare an iron skillet by spraying it with cooking spray and sprinkling it with cornmeal. Preheat oven to 450°F
- Mix cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, rice milk, and canola oil in a mixing bowl. Pour into skillet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let set for about 5 minutes before you remove it from the pan.
- I should add, this stuffing works best with this particular cornbread recipe. I tried it with my whole wheat cornbread recipe, and it doesn't taste right.
- Now for the dressing.
- In a saucepan, place butter, celery, and onions and simmer on medium-low heat until soft.
- Preheat oven 350°F and toast bread cubes for about 10 minutes or until well toasted.
- Mix onions and celery, bread cubes, cornbread, bread flakes, poultry seasoning, parsley, onion, sage, pepper, carrot, and broth in a mixing bowl.
- Place into an 8-inch casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with tin foil. The oven is already preheated. Place into oven and cook for about 45 minutes.
- To make the gravy. In a shaker jar, put 1 cup of broth, flour, and corn starch. Shake until mixed. Pour into the saucepan with the other cup of broth. Bring to a boil, constantly stirring until thickens.