Holiday cooking doesn’t mean that your health has to go down the tubes, especially if you serve this very special showstopper. Nutty brown rice, sweet corn, tart dried cranberries, and zesty citrus flavors all come together to create a special occasion dish that’s worth celebrating.
Thanksgiving Inspired Rice [Vegan]
- 1 cup medium-grain brown rice, rinsed well
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice, rinsed well
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes and drained
- 1/2 cup organic corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 3 cups spring or filtered water
- Generous pinch sea salt
- 1 cup coarsely minced pecans
- Combine the rices, cranberries, corn, lime zest, orange zest, and water in a heavy pot. Cover loosely and bring to a boil.
- Add the salt and cover. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 40 to 45 minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is fluffy.
- While the rice cooks, place a dry skillet over medium heat. Pan toast the pecan pieces by stirring them in the hot skillet until lightly browned and fragrant, taking care not to burn them. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
- When the rice is cooked, gently fold in the toasted nuts, lime juice, and orange juice. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.