While traditional Mexican tacos are absolutely delicious, it’s fun to mix it up sometimes. This recipe for Thai red curry tofu tacos does just that. It’s a fusion recipe that combines that classic corn tortilla taco shell, with a bold Thai flavored tofu filling. The curry sauce is spicy, zesty, umami, cream, and a little sweet and they're combined with a filling of fresh vegetables and herbs. Enjoy these for dinner or take them along to a summer party!
Thai Red Curry Tofu Tacos [Vegan]
For the Thai Red Curry Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce package tofu
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil or any other high cooking temperature oil
- 1 13.66-ounce can coconut milk
- 1-2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For the Tacos:
- Corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- A handful of cilantro, chopped
- Fresh lime and coconut cream, for topping (optional)
- 1/2 cup crushed peanuts
- In a large saucepan, heat your avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Drain all the water from your tofu, chop into cubes, and add tofu to the pan. Cook your tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Make sure your pan is large enough, or cook your tofu in 2 batches.
- In a separate saucepan over medium heat, add your curry paste and can of coconut milk and stir together until incorporated. Increase heat to medium-high and let reduce, for about 5 minutes. You will see the sauce begin to bubble and thicken.
- Reduce to low heat, and add your soy sauce, maple syrup, lime, and paprika. Mix until incorporated.
- Add your cooked tofu to the pan with your curry sauce, over medium heat, and stir together until tofu is well coated in your sauce.
- Heat your corn tortillas in a large pan over medium heat for 1-2 on each side
- Fill your tortillas with your tofu, and top with shredded cabbage, peppers, cilantro, and crushed peanuts.
- Drizzle lime juice and coconut cream on top, if desired.