This Thai-inspired soup is perfect for chilly days or whenever you are looking to take it easy because it cooks up in just 25 minutes. It is packed with lentils and greens as well as Thai flavors like lemongrass, tamari, lime, coconut, and a garnish of cilantro cream. If you love Thai food, it's sure to delight your taste buds.
Thai Green Detox Soup With Cilantro Cashew Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
2 meals or 4 sides
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions (about 3-4)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 piece kombu (optional)
- Lemongrass stalk, cut into 3-inch long strips
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup green beans, diced
- 1 cup collard greens, chopped
- 1/2 lime, zested and juiced
- Toasted coconut, for garnish (optional)
For the Cilantro Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- In a large stockpot, melt the coconut oil. Add the green onions and garlic and cook for roughly 3 minutes until you can smell the garlic.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, lentils, kombu, lemongrass, ginger, tamari, and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the green beans and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the collard greens, lime juice, and lime zest and simmer until wilted.
- To make the cashew cilantro cream, combine the cashews, lime juice, cilantro, and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve hot with cashew cilantro crème and garnish with toasted coconut.