This Thai-inspired chickpea stew is flavorful and very easy to make. Onions, peppers, carrots, garlic, and chickpeas are cooked in a delicious, creamy broth made with peanut butter and coconut milk. The heat is there, warming your taste buds on the first bite. But not too much — just enough.
Thai Chickpea Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Thai Chickpea Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Vegetables:
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 red pepper
- 6-inch leek
- 1 big carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 1 lime
For the Rest:
- 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 13.5-ounce can of coconut milk
- 1 15.5-ounce can of chickpeas
- 1 cup of cashew nuts or peanuts
- Salt, to taste
How to Prepare Thai Chickpea Stew [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- Rinse peppers, the leek, and carrot. Peel the garlic, yellow onion, and ginger. Chop yellow onions, carrot, garlic, and ginger in small pieces. Cut the leek into thin slices and the pepper into medium-sized pieces.
- Cover the bottom of a large saucepan with cooking oil, put it on a little warmer than medium, and add all the vegetables. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over it and stir occasionally until everything has got a nice color and has softened, about 10 minutes.
- Cut the lime into 6 slices and squeeze the juice of 2 slices into the saucepan before adding the peanut butter. Pour in 2 cups of water, coconut milk, and the broth. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Open the can of chickpeas, rinse, and add to the pot. Roast the nuts in a saucepan over high heat, shaking the pan often.
- Serve with fresh peppers, leek, coriander, and lime wedges. If you want a little more carbohydrates and an even more hearty stew, you can add some noodles or rice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.