If you're looking for a filling, warm breakfast, try out this teff porridge. Teff grains cook up quickly, have a lovely thick consistency like polenta, and are super high in calcium and plant-based protein. To add a burst of flavor, top the porridge with slices of blood orange and hemp seeds.
Teff Porridge With Blood Orange and Coconut Butter [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 2 tablespoons teff grain
- A tiny pinch of sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon maca or lucuma
- 1-2 teaspoon hemp seeds
- 1 blood orange
- Heat the almond milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. When the milk just starts to boil, stir in the teff and salt and turn the heat to low. Simmer the teff porridge for 10-15 minutes until it has thickened.
- Stir in the coconut butter, syrup, cardamom, and maca. Once the coconut butter has melted completely, remove the porridge from the heat. Serve warm.