In this recipe for bread, all-purpose flour is replaced with a healthier, ancient grain flour: teff! Along with wheat bran and chia seeds (as a replacement for egg) this bread is just as moist and dense as any other regular bread, but much healthier! Toast a slice with some vegan butter and jam or serve it alongside some tofu scramble for a wholesome breakfast.
Teff Bran Chia Bread [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Teff Bran Chia Bread [Vegan]
- 2 cups teff flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
How to Prepare Teff Bran Chia Bread [Vegan]
- Preheat oven at 400°F and prepare a bread pan by greasing and dusting it.
- In a mixing bowl, combine teff flour and wheat bran. Mix properly with a spoon.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, and salt to it and mix very well so that there are no lumps.
- Add all the ingredients (except water, sesame seeds, and flax seeds).
- Mix with hands so that the flour is well combined with all the ingredients.
- Now, slowly add water to it making it into a soft tortilla-like dough.
- Roughly shape the dough according to the bread pan size without pressing too much.
- Top it with sesame seeds and flax seeds and place the pan in the middle section of the oven.
- Bake it for 35-40 minutes until the tester comes out clean and the bread is crispy from outside.
- Turn off the oven. Take out the bread and cool it for few minutes. Cut into your desired slices and enjoy with any spread of your choice.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.