Mushrooms are probably the first vegetable anyone would associate with a meat-free barbecue and for good reason. Far from being a boring cliché, mushrooms are a versatile barbecue option… if you add a little something extra to them; I’m sure many a mushroom ends up just being plonked, as it is, onto a barbecue. The marinade on these tangy mushrooms skewers makes them big on flavor as well as texture!
Tangy Mushroom Skewers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 20 large button mushrooms, cleaned
- 4 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tablespoons plant-based honey or liquid sweetener of choice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl
- Add the mushrooms to the bowl and fully coat the mushrooms in the marinade
- Leave to marinade for a few minutes, before carefully threading onto wooden skewers.
- Place on a hot barbecue and cook for around twenty minutes, turning frequently, until the mushrooms are cooked through.
If you want to give the mushrooms a bit of extra crisp, then slide them off the skewer a couple of minutes before serving and cook on a barbecue-proof tray.