These vegan Tamale-Inspired Bowls are a quick and easy dish, ready in less than 30 minutes, but they bring home the flavors of a bowl of tamale pie. The filling contains black beans, pinto beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, chilies, and vegan cheese. For ease and simplicity, this recipe utilizes pre-cooked polenta rolls or logs, available at most supermarkets. Choose polenta that is organic.
Tamale Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Tamale Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 pre-cooked polenta roll, cut into 8 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 ½ cups vegan pepperjack-style cheese
- 4 scallions, minced
- 2 fresno or 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- Fresh salsa, for serving
How to Prepare Tamale Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the polenta slices until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook until golden, about 30 seconds. Stir in the green chilies and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes, or until most the liquid from the chilies evaporates.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the flavors meld, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese, scallions, peppers and cilantro. Stir until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes.
- Using 4 (2-cup) baking dishes or ramekins, place 2 polenta slices into each cup. Divide the bean mixture equally among the containers and serve the bowls with salsa fresca.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.