Needing dinner fast one night, I reached for pasta and tomato sauce—but I wanted to make it heartier. With cooked sweet potato in the fridge, these SweetBalls soon took shape!
Sweetballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
What Ingredients Do You Need To Make Sweetballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- ½ cup raw walnuts (see note for nut-free option)
- ½ cup raw almonds (see note for nut-free option)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 medium clove garlic (or large clove for extra garlic bite)
- ¾ cup cooked and cooled sweet potato, skins removed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ –1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves or fresh thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoons tamari or coconut aminos
How To Make Sweetballs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a food processor, add the walnuts, almonds, oats, and garlic, and process through until crumbly. Then add the sweet potato, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, rosemary, and tamari and process until just well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, and refrigerate for about ½ hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take scoops of the mixture (1–1 ½ tablespoons in size) and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 17–20 minutes, until golden and just firm to the touch (do not overbake, or they will dry out). Remove, and serve with pasta or tomato sauce, or as an appetizer with dipping sauce!
Nut-Free Option: Replace the walnuts and almonds with ½ cup of pumpkin seeds and 1/3 cup of hemp seeds. Sweet Potato Note: For this recipe, you only need one small-medium sweet potato. You can use orange or yellow sweet potato. Seasonings Note: There is no need to add salt because of the tamari used in this mix, but if you feel like seasoning with sea salt and pepper, test the mixture and add a little to taste. Idea: Try forming patties with this mixture for quick and scrumptious burgers.
- Sweet Potato
- Veggie Meatballs