This burger combines sweet potato and seitan to bring you the ultimate veggie burger, topped with a refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce! You won't be able to put it down, trust us.
Sweet Potato Seitan Burger with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce [Vegan]
- 5.3 ounces sweet potato
- 2 small shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup seitan powder (vital wheat gluten)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon curcuma
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 wholegrain or spelt burger buns
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- 4-8 salad leaves
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- Handful of sprouts mix
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 spicy green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 4 tablespoons vegan yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon white pepper
- Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into cubes and cook in plenty of salted water for 15 minutes. After that, drain and mash.
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic and nuts. Add 2/3 cup of cold water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the sweet potato. Season with salt, curcuma and cumin. Mix mixture with the seitan powder and knead for 5 minutes. Quarter the dough, shape into patties and let it rest.
- Boil water in a large saucepan with steamer basket. Steam patties for 40 minutes and allow to cool.
- Cut the cucumber into small cubes, finely chop the shallot, green pepper and dill. Mix with yogurt, vinegar and salt
- Brush patties with remaining oil and sauté in a medium pan for 4 minutes per side. Then place vegan cheese over the patties and let it melt.
- Cut bread rolls. Toast for 1 minute over indirect heat. Brush bottom bun halves with mustard. Cover with lettuce leaves, sprouts, patties and cucumber yogurt sauce.
Remember to plan some time to cook this dish. Alternatively, you can use a wholegrain bun, or how we Germans like to call it "Brötchen", from a local bakery store.