This sweet potato kale curry is extremely simple and delicious. Hearty chunks of sweet potato swim in a tomato and onion curry spiked with turmeric, ground chili, and coriander. This filling dish also includes a bit of coconut milk to balance out all the zest. Serve in a bowl over a bed of basmati rice.
Sweet Potato Kale Curry [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 heaping cup onion, very finely chopped
- 1 heaping cup tomato, very finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground chili
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup sweet potato chunks
- 2 cups kale
- In a stockpot, heat oil. Once the oil is really hot, add cumin seeds.
- Once they crackle, add onions. Keep on low flame stirring constantly until brown and caramelized, then add grated ginger and garlic and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now, add tomato and fry until mushy.
- Turn heat to low, add the turmeric, chili, and coriander, and fry on low heat for 3 minutes, constantly stirring.
- Add 1 cup of water, increase heat back to medium, and let the spices boil in water.
- Once water gets evaporated, add the sweet potato and kale, salt, stir for 3 minutes and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Cover and let it cook for 13 minutes or until sweet potato is cooked through.
- Now add coconut milk and garam masala and let it sit for 5 more minutes.
- Take off heat and serve immediately.