This sweet and creamy couscous is a nice alternative to oatmeal. It's comforting with a bit of spice from cinnamon, and definitely filling in an energizing way! Top this couscous with some banana, strawberries, and nuts for an extra nutritional boost.
Sweet Cinnamon Couscous [Vegan]
For the Couscous:
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups oat milk
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Lemon peel
For the Toppings:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A small pinch of ground ginger
- 2 dates, chopped
- Mixed nuts
- Banana and strawberries, sliced
- Put the couscous in a heat resistant bowl or container. Set aside.
- Pour the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. add in the sugar, cinnamon stick, and lemon peel (remember to use only the yellow part of the skin, discard the white part to avoid any bitterness). Stir a bit to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring the milk to a boil, remove the cinnamon and lemon peel, and pour the hot milk over the bowl with the couscous. Do not stir, cover the bowl and let it rest for up to 10 minutes, or until the liquid has been almost completely absorbed but it's still creamy and juicy.
- Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and ginger, stir and top with your favorite nuts, chopped dates, and a few slices of banana and strawberries.