These Swedish veggie meatballs, made with black rice and lentils are so yummy! Serving these with the right sides, like potato mash, red cabbage relish, and plenty of gravy brings out the best of their flavor and texture. They're a real traditional Swedish treat that's perfect for dinner.
Swedish Meatballs With Lentils and Black Rice [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Swedish Meatballs With Lentils and Black Rice [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked black rice
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 tablespoon rose pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup nutritional years
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- A little salt
- 1/2 cup teff
How to Prepare Swedish Meatballs With Lentils and Black Rice [Vegan]
- Prepare the rice and lentils according to their package instructions.
- In a pot, heat the vegetable broth.
- Heat a large pan over low heat and add the olive oil, followed by the minced garlic. Stir for about half a minute or so until fragrant, then add the boiled rice, the boiled lentils, the rose pepper, and the thyme. Increase the heat while stirring heavily for half a minute. Then add the vegetable broth and boil for a few minutes until some of the liquid has evaporated and the mix starts to thicken slightly.
- Remove the pan from the stove and add the nutritional yeast, the xanthan gum, the salt, and the teff, and then stir together thoroughly until it's evenly mixed and a little firm. Let cool slightly.
- Use your hands to shape small evenly-sized meatballs and place them in a baking tray. If the mix is too soft for rolling the meatballs then add a little more teff.
- Put the tray in the fridge for 20 minutes to set. In the meantime heat up the oven to 350°F.
- When the oven is hot place the meatballs in there and put the timer for 20 minutes. Then carefully roll them around once (other side up) and leave for another 10-15 minutes, or until the outside has gotten a nice crispy texture. Serve immediately.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.