Picture a big bowl of pasta blanketed in a mild, creamy, garlicky alfredo sauce. This recipe uses five superfoods to create that amazing sauce. The results? Your tastebuds are happy and your body is fueled. You'll return to this delicious mac-and-cheese recipe again and again.
Superfood Cheesy Mac With Roasted Cauliflower [Vegan]
- 1 head of cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, whole
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or more lemon)
- 4 cups uncooked macaroni
To Roast the Vegetables:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F, and spread out cauliflower florets, chopped onion, carrot, and garlic. Drizzle with melted coconut oil and bake for 40 minutes, taking it out of the oven once and a while to toss everything around.
- Pull vegetables out of oven when cauliflower is slightly browned on the tips.
To Make the Sauce:
- While your cauliflower is roasting, add into high-speed blender: water, soaked sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, nutritional yeast, olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, and salt.
- Once the roasted vegetables are cool enough to handle, scoop them into blender.
- Blend on high for 2-5 minutes, until sauce is perfectly creamy. There should be no grainy bits. Your blender may fight at first a bit, in this case spoon around the thick mixture to get rid of air pockets, add more olive oil or water. Pulsing seems to help too.
- Once mixture is completely smooth, taste and adjust seasonings as necessary and serve.