This amazingly flavorful BBQ sauce is free of gluten, dairy, refined sugar, and oil. Slather it on anything you like from veggie wings to French fries and everything in between!
Super Smoky BBQ Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 12-ounce bottle chili sauce
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Medjool dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch sea salt
- Add a generous splash of water or vegetable broth to a small saucepan and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and mustard seeds and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasonings.