An Italian staple made vegan, easy and quick to throw together. With herbs like garlic and rosemary, with a touch of savory sundried tomatoes this fluffy flat bread becomes irresistible.
Sundried Tomato, Garlic & Rosemary Focaccia [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon of golden caster sugar
- 2 1/3 cups of plain flour
- 2 1/3 cups of self-raising flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling:
- 3 garlic cloves (Roughly chopped)
- Sundried tomatoes (Sliced)
- Fresh rosemary
- Vegan parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- Place the warm water into a bowl, and sprinkle in the yeast and sugar. Cover with a tea towel then put into a warm place for around 10-15 minutes until frothy.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flours, oil and salt.
- Add in the activated yeast mixture to the flour mix.
- Mix with a hand whisk or attach a dough hook to your stand mixer and begin to knead on medium until smooth dough forms. This will take around 5 minutes. Add more oil or water if needed.
- Pop the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and place into a warm area (I place mine in my conservatory) and allow to prove for around 2-3 hours or until double in size.
- Grease a deep baking tray with oil.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, turn it out into the oiled tray and stretch/press out the dough until it reaches the edges covering the base of the pan. Make sure it is level.
- With your fingertips, make little dimples into the dough, and add into them the garlic, rosemary, sundried tomato and parmesan. I like to add on a sprinkling of black pepper to taste.
- Cover with a teatowl and place back into a warm area to rise for 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 410 F
- Once the dough has risen, place the focaccia into the lower/middle of the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once ready, remove from the oven and serve warm or allow to cool down and slice into servings.
I served my focaccia with fresh salad and more Violife parmesan cheese. Delicious! Store in a sealed container and best enjoyed within a few days of making.