Try something different today! Get your sushi chef skills on with these stuffed sushi stacks. Sticky rice pancakes are paired with a tasty green filling made from avocado, kale, and cucumber and drizzled with creamy, spicy Sriracha mayo.
Stuffed Sushi Stack [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 large or 2 small stacks
To Make the Rice Pancakes:
- Keep a bowl of water next to you for hands and to clean utensils.
- On a clean kitchen worktop (marble or granite if you have it), spray the surface lightly with oil to prevent sticking. Alternatively, you can try using plastic wrap.
- With a wet hand or wooden paddle, take all of the sushi rice and place it onto the oiled surface. Press down on the rice to compact it and shape it into a rectangle.
- Using a damped, large cookie cutter (4-5 inches), stamp out as many circles as possible. Set aside two of these rice circles, they will be the top and bottom of your pancake stack.
- For the rest of the circles, take a small cookie cutter (1 1/2-2 inches) and cut out the middle of the pancakes.
- Repeat this compacting and cutting process until all the rice has been used.
- Set the rice circles aside carefully, using a large wet spatula to move them around.
- With each nori sheet, use the same large cookie cutter and trace around with a sharp knife to cut into shape. Use the smaller cookie cutter and repeat the process. You want one less nori circle than you have rice circles.
To Make the Filling:
- Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and fold together. Set aside.
To Make the Sriracha Mayo:
- Mix both of the ingredients together until fully incorporated.
- Take a serving plate and place the bottom rice patty onto it (not the one with a hole in). Now, alternate with nori then rice circle until the final nori circle is used.
- Now, fill the center of the stack with your green filling, packing down to fit as much as possible.
- Place the top rice patty to close the stack.
- Drizzle the Sriracha mayo over the stack and decorate with spring onions, coriander, and sesame seeds. Use any leftover mayo for a dipping sauce.