There’s something nice about knowing you have something nourishing and yummy to refuel after a long day, particularly when it’s not takeout, contains no animal pieces and is going to leave you feeling really good (not food hungover). This stuffed portobello mushroom dish does this perfectly. It takes just a little extra effort to procure Portobello mushrooms and perhaps a fresh pepper and tofu, but also uses some great staples you probably have on hand anyway: quinoa, oil, an onion, some garlic. Fresh meets easy.
Stuffed Portobello Mushroom With Tofu and Garlic Pepper Quinoa [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Stuffed Portobello Mushroom With Tofu and Garlic Pepper Quinoa [Vegan]
- 0.5 cup quinoa
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp tamari
- 6 oz cubed tofu (see note below)
- 0.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 0.5 yellow onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 green pepper
- 2 green onions
How to Prepare Stuffed Portobello Mushroom With Tofu and Garlic Pepper Quinoa [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa with 1 cup water. Cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat, season with a few pinches salt and pepper, and keep covered.
- While quinoa comes to a boil, brush the Portobello mushroom caps on the inside and outside with 1 tbsp of olive oil (alternatively, use a paper towel to gently spread oil on the outside and inside of the caps). Place face down on one half of a foil-lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining olive oil and 1 tbsp tamari. Add tofu and stir to coat.
- Place tofu on the other half of the baking sheet and place sheet in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes until tofu starts to brown on the edges and mushrooms shrivel slightly on their edges.
- In the meantime, dice onions and peppers into ½” pieces and thinly slice green onion.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add green peppers and remaining tamari. Cook 3 minutes more.
- Add green onions to skillet, stir, and remove from heat.
- Remove baking tray from the oven and plate your meal by arranging a bed of quinoa with the mushroom cap face up on top. Fill mushroom with veggies and tofu. Serve.
A tofu-y trick: check out the total ounces of your packet of tofu – 10oz, likely – and use 3/5 of the block to find the correct amount for this recipe; also, you could consider upping the marinade ingredients by 2/5 and cooking the whole block at once to save dinner prep time later in the week. Just hang onto the extra 2/5 and use in salads, stir-fries, etc!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.