These stuffed mushrooms make a great starter or party snack, but they can also be paired with a big green salad for a filling plant-based meal. A mix of veggies, oats, and herbs make up the flavorful stuffing. Top it off with some almond feta and you got one delicious meal!
Stuffed Mushrooms With Almond Feta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Stuffed Mushrooms:
- 12 small brown mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup of spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
For the Almond Feta:
- 1 cup almond pulp leftover from homemade almond milk
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, cold press
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or thyme (optional)
To Make the Mushrooms:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper.
- Gently wash and remove stems from mushrooms. Carefully carve out a portion of the inside of the mushroom just enough to make room for stuffing.
- Put mushrooms, smooth side on top, on a prepared baking sheet. Cook in a preheated oven for 5 minutes.
To Make the Stuffing:
- In a small skillet, warm coconut oil and saute onions for 3 minutes, adding touch of water if necessary.
- Add garlic, salt, and pepper and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- By now the mushroom caps should be ready to come out of the oven. Remove them from the oven and let cool a little bit. Flip the mushrooms, hollow side on top.
- Add tomatoes, spinach, oats, and water to the onion mixture, mix well, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally mix in oregano and coconut aminos, and turn the heat off.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of filling into each mushroom cap, packing it in as tight as possible. Bake for 10 minutes, until mushroom is tender to tops of filling are lightly browned.
To Make the Feta:
- Put everything into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Top each mushroom with a teaspoon of feta. Ready to see