If you have a bunch of fresh rhubarb and strawberries, why not make something easy and healthy like a crumble? You can’t go wrong pairing rhubarb with strawberries; they are the perfect combo.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, sliced in halves
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced in 1/2-inch thick ( 1.3 cm) pieces
- 1/3 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons (tbsps) cornstarch
- 1 cup small-size rolled oats (divided equally in two 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup brown organic granulated sugar (e.g. coconut sugar or Mascobado sugar cane)
- 1/4 cup plant-based butter, softened at room temp.
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut (or finely chopped nuts of choice)
How to Prepare Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble [Vegan]
- Oven: 190°C / 375°F
- Baking dish: Approx. 9X6 inch or 24X16 cm
- Slice the strawberries and rhubarb and place in a medium-size bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, add the orange juice, maple syrup and cornstarch and whisk with a fork until all of the cornstarch dissolves and the ingredients are completely combined. Pour this into the strawberry and rhubarb and toss until well coated.
- In the bowl of your food processor, add the 1/2 cup of rolled oats, almond flour, brown sugar, plant butter dropped in small spoonfuls, cinnamon and salt. Pulse intermittently, scraping sides if needed, for about 6-8 seconds or until you get a crumbly mixture and all the ingredients are mixed.
- Transfer the crumbly mixture into a bowl and add the other half cup of rolled oats and coconut. Mix this with a spatula until combined.
- Toss the strawberries and rhubarb one more time and transfer this with the sauce into the bottom of a 9X6 inch or 24X16 cm baking dish, spreading the fruit evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the strawberry/rhubarb mixture. I like to drop small clumps of crumbs here and there by lightly squeezing small batches of the mixture between my hand. Leave a small space around the edges so that the fruit will bubble through while baking.
- Bake on middle rack in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until crumb topping is golden and crispy and the filling bubbles through on the sides.
- Let cool for 15 minutes (or more) before serving. Serve as is or with ice cream or cream of choice.
- Leftovers can be stored in a container in fridge for 2 days. It can be reheated in the microwave or in the oven to re-crisp the topping or enjoyed cold.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.