If you're trying to beat the heat, this beautiful, delicious, frozen treat is sure to help cool you down. They have an almond and date crust, a creamy, fruity coconut milk middle, and a topping of strawberry cherry sauce with coconut cream piped on top. Put it all together and you get crunchy, smooth, creamy, and tart delicious goodness.You can also use whatever fruit you have on hand, got blueberries, make it blueberry! Blackberries, raspberries, pineapples ... go for it!
Strawberry Cherry and Coconut Ice Cream Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- A dash of sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds
For the Strawberry Cherry Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups pitted cherries
- 4 pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons, fresh-squeezed lemon juice
For the Coconut Cream:
- 3 13.66-ounce cans of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Process almonds and salt in a food processor into small bits.
- Add in dates and pulse until mixture forms a dough and comes together. When dough stays together when squeezed between your fingers, it's ready for the next step.
- Line an 8x12-inch cookie sheet with parchment paper, making sure to leave extra on each end for easy removal.
- Transfer the date mixture to the pan and, using your fingers or the back of a spoon, press it down to about 1/4-inch thickness, then set aside.
- Place strawberries, cherries, dates, and lemon juice in blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and set aside.
- Open two cans of coconut milk, making sure not to shake them.
- Using a spoon, scoop off the solid cream, leaving the water at the bottom of the can, and place in medium mixing bowl. Store coconut water for later use, such as smoothies.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the maple syrup to the coconut cream and mix with a hand blender until well combined and mixture thickens.
- Add in 1/2 cup of the strawberry/cherry mixture to the cream and mix until well combined.
- Spread cream mixture over almond/date crust.
- Place in freezer and allow to freeze for 1-2 hours. It will not be completely frozen, but solid enough to spread on next layer.
- Spread remaining fruit mixture over the cream layer, return to freezer, and allow to freeze 3-4 hours or overnight.
- Open the final can of coconut milk and scoop off the cream, placing in small mixing bowl.
- Add in remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and beat with hand mixer until mixture thickens.
- Transfer to squeeze bottle or piping bag and store upright in a glass in the refrigerator until pan mixture is completely frozen.
- When completely frozen, remove from pan and cut into squares.
- Squeeze coconut cream over squares using a back and forth motion.
- Transfer to serving platter and serve.
- Store extra squares in airtight container in freezer.