This one-pan meal is almost too good to be true. Once sautéed in flavorful ginger garlic sauce, the veggies are mixed with small bits of spicy tofu cooked in soy sauce, more ginger and garlic, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. This savory, sweet, and spicy mixture is then added to crisp cups of lettuce, creating an Asian-inspired taco that is tangy and deliciously unexpected.
Stir-Fry Veggie Lettuce Wraps With Ginger-Garlic Tofu [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 7 ounces extra-firm tofu, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Mixed vegetables of your choice
- Ginger-garlic sauce or other vegan sauté sauce
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, leaves separated
- Sriracha hot sauce, if desired
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sesame oil. Add the tofu and toss to coat evenly. Set the bowl aside.
- Heat a wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and when hot, add the tofu and any marinade remaining in the bowl. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Carefully transfer the tofu back to the bowl to stay warm, then return the empty skillet to heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil and when hot, add the vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the sauce and toss to coat the vegetables evenly. Add the tofu, toss to combine, and remove from heat.
- To serve, select a cup-shaped leaf from the head of iceberg lettuce. Scoop several spoonfuls of sautéed vegetables and tofu into the lettuce cup, making a mini taco shape. Repeat with the remaining lettuce cups and sautéed veggies. Serve hot, with Sriracha hot sauce for garnish if desired.