One of the beauties of stir-frying is that it can be done quickly and with just about anything in the refrigerator. In this recipe, bok choy and sliced red peppers are cooked in a stir-fry sauce made from vegetable broth, soy sauce, sherry, and savory sauce to give a thick, full-flavored sauce. Instead of being served on a bed of rice, Chinese noodles are cooked through and then packed into a non-stick skillet to get a crispy and crunchy exterior with the tender and chewy center.
Stir-Fried Bok Choy With Chinese Noodle Cake [Vegan]
For the Noodle Cake and Vegetables:
- 8 ounces egg-free Chinese noodles
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 small head bok choy, stalks cut into 1/4-inch slices and greens cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Salt, to taste
For the Stir-Fry Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the noodles and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring often, about 2-3 minutes. Make sure not to overcook.
- Drain thoroughly. Add scallions and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the noodles. Toss well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet and keep ready.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add the noodles and press into cake with spatula. Cook until crisp and golden brown on the bottom, about 5-8 minutes.
- Slide the cake onto a large plate. Add 1 tablespoon more oil to the pan; invert the cake to cook the other side. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp and golden. Slide the cake onto the prepared wire rack and place it in the oven to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the same pan, along with ginger, garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Next, add the bok choy stalks and bell pepper; cook until crisp-tender about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in bok choy greens and cook until wilted about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Serve hot over noodle cake.
Adapted from The Complete Vegetarian Cookbook.
- Bell Pepper