This BBQ tempeh recipe is the perfect addition to your collard greens and mashed potatoes. Nothing says summer like sticky, smoky, barbecue-sauce-slathered eats. Just because you’re following a plant-based diet, doesn’t mean you don’t get to enjoy a “meaty,” saucy meal! This oil-free baked BBQ tempeh recipe would make a delicious addition to your backyard get-together this summer or anytime you’re looking for an easy vegan dish that everyone will love. Just make sure to cook a couple of batches––it'll go fast!
Sticky Baked BBQ Tempeh Strips [Vegan]
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 3-ounce package of tempeh
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons of tamari, liquid aminos, or soy sauce, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Water, for simmering
- Preheat oven 375°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, tin foil, silicone baking mat, or a layer of coconut oil.
- Open your package of tempeh and rinse well. Simmer a little water (enough to cover tempeh), 1 tablespoon of the tamari, onion powder, and garlic in a medium pot. Cook the tempeh in the simmering “broth” for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the tempeh with tongs and place in a shallow container. Add 1/4 cup of the simmering liquid, plus the other tablespoon of tamari and allow to marinate for about 15-20 minutes. You prepare my other dishes at this time — chop vegetables, cut up potatoes, etc.
- Remove the tempeh from the marinade and cut into 10-11 thick strips. Place the strips carefully on the prepared baking pan. Bake for about 10 minutes. Remove and brush both sides generously with barbecue sauce, using tongs to flip carefully. Return pan to oven and bake for another 12-15 minutes.