These stewed potatoes make a rich, creamy, and flavorful side dish. Using just four simple ingredients, you'll have them on the table in less than 45 minutes. Serve this recipe with greens and plant-based protein for a well-balanced meal!
Stewed Potatoes [Vegan]
For the Stewed Potatoes:
- 2 pounds white or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon onion or garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more to taste
- ~3-4 cups filtered water
For Serving, optional
- Fresh chives, minced
- Place the potato cubes, vegan butter, onion or garlic powder, salt, and cracked black pepper in a large saucepan. Add water until the potatoes are just covered, around 3-4 cups.
- Bring the potatoes to a light boil and cook until fork-tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, continuing to stir until the potatoes reach your preferred consistency, around 9-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately while warm with fresh chives and cracked black pepper on top. Happy eating!
- Don't cover the pot — Cooking the potatoes without a lid allows the cooking liquid to evaporate, creating the quintessential rich and creamy texture.
- Don't skip peeling — To achieve the smoothest consistency, take the time to peel your potatoes.
- Adjust the consistency — Boil the potatoes for as long as you want in the last step to achieve your preferred consistency (10 minutes is best for us). For a thicker stew, boil them longer, for a thinner stew boil them for less time.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile