Thick chunks of artichoke and spinach fill the not-too-cheesy sauce and perfectly top tortilla or pita chips! It's the perfect dip for sharing...if it lasts that long! We adapted the recipe from Oh She Glows, and it is so, so good.
Spinach Artichoke Dip [Vegan]
- 1 piece whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 medium sized onion (about 2 cups), chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine in a food processor 1 piece of whole wheat bread and 1 teaspoon vegan butter. Pulse until crumbs form. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a food processor combine white beans, nutritional yeast, water, salt, basil, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet, combine olive oil and onions; heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes. Once garlic and onions are cooked and smelling delicious, add chopped artichokes and spinach. Stir and cook on medium heat until spinach wilts.
- Shut off heat and add contents of food processor to skillet. Stir well. Add 3/4 of the breadcrumbs and all the vegan mozzarella cheese to the mixture, stirring again. At this point you'll have a thick, veggie filled, yellowish mixture that will smell cheesy and awesome. Try and resist! Its light years better after being cooked.
- Spread the rest of the bread crumbs on top of the mixture, then cover the cast iron pan with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for 10-15 more minutes, until mixture is bubbly and melty and hot! Let cool for 5 minutes before serving with tortilla or pita chips. Enjoy!