Whether it's Taco Tuesday or not, you've got to try these grilled tempeh tacos! Tempeh is grilled to crispy perfection with our Taiwanese spicy bean paste. Serve them with beans and homemade vegan sour cream for a winner of a dinner.
Spicy Grilled Tempeh Tacos With Homemade Sour Cream [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tempeh and Tacos:
- Tempeh, as needed
- Spicy bean paste, as needed
- Tortillas (gluten-free if necessary)
- Pico de gallo
For the Frijoles:
- 6 cloves roasted garlic
- 4-5 cups cooked red beans
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the Sour Cream:
- 1 cup raw, pre-soaked cashews
- 1 cup rejuvelac (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Brush the tempeh with the bean paste and then grill.
- Lightly grill tortillas for about 30 seconds/side.
- To make the sour cream, put all ingredients in a high-speed blender and run until very smooth. Then set out in a covered glass container to culture for at least 24 hours. Taste for sourness. Colder climates will require more time. 24 hours at 85°F is about perfect. Refrigerate until thickened.
- To make the beans, roast your garlic or pan fry them whole in a skillet until brown. Then cook the beans a minute or two longer than normal, drain, but reserve your bean juice.
- Mash the garlic cloves with a fork, then add the beans and spices over low heat. Allow them to simmer for a couple minutes while you go to work with a potato masher. Add the lime juice, olive oil, and bean juice to keep the mixture soft and workable.
- Assemble tacos and add pico de gallo and guacamole.
Rejuvelac is a fermented liquid you can buy online or make at home.